If at some point in life if you’ve passed through puberty, you have gotten pimples or acne. Sometimes we involuntarily or voluntarily poke a pimple to cause scarring. Sometimes we scratch and after healing scar forms. Scars could also be from injuries we previously had. Whatever the reason for the scar, it’s on your face, hands or legs and you want to go out, have fun with no one noticing the scar.
There are ways to hide the scar, but you must know what concealer is best for your skin tone and which one will do the best job.
What are concealers?
Concealers help cover up blemishes and imperfections on the body. They are makeup products that provide pigmentation. They can be applied using a sponge, brush or spray. They can also be used together with foundation.
- Liquid concealers – Helps to cover a wide area and establish a light finish especially to parts like the eyes that move a lot. If you use too much of it, then wrinkles will start appearing over time.
- Solid concealers – It resembles a pencil stick or lipstick stick and helps in hiding away small areas like pimples, spots, and blemishes. It may, however, be difficult to blend it in with your skin due to its texture. This covers light scars and blemishes and easily blends in. It offers light coverage.
- Cream concealer – Offers light coverage and can be applied using either a small brush or with fingers. They do not flake the skin, and this makes it ideal to use on dry patches.
Different colors available
- Green – Combats redness and can be used underneath the normal concealer especially when hiding red spots.
- Yellow – Used for blue tones or dark circles around eyes
- Pink – Give the face a lively look.
- Orange or peach – Cancels out the scarring appearance by hiding the dark spots.
- Purple – Helps to neutralize yellow colors.
- White – Shimmers and highlights.
Choosing the best concealer for scars
The market is full of brands for different skin issues. There are concealers for wrinkles, eye circles, fine lines and scars caused by acne or injuries. The best ones for scars need to set a clean finish without cracking, streaking, flaming or making scars more prominent.
When buying the best brands for scars and blemishes, consider the following things:
- Go for a noncomedogenic concealer since it keeps the skin pores clear and helps reduce breakouts from acne.
- Choose a one that is one or two shades lighter than the foundation you use.
- If using a concealer brush, make sure the bristles are fine and hard. Apply the desired amount to a clean brush, on the red part then gently blend it in.
- If your skin is dry, go for a liquid brand. For oily skin, use a dense drier cream or a cream to powder form
- If you are going for a soft look, make sure you use face powder as you finish.
How to apply concealer
- Make sure your face is clean. Wash it with lukewarm water then pat dry.
- For good skin care, moisturize your face with a light layer of moisturizer (this step can be skipped). You can also choose to apply foundation which is also optional.
- Use a finger, sponge or brush to tap the concealer shade of your choice to the scar. Dabbing the concealer onto the scar is way better than brushing or rubbing since it will help cover the exact spot you want to be covered. It will also help the concealer adhere to the skin better.
- After applying the concealer, blend it in evenly. Blend it in a circular motion to avoid transferring oil from the finger to other parts of the face, which could cause breakouts if your skin is prone to acne.
- To ensure a smooth finish, dust on some pressed or loose powder that matches your skin tone. This will help it not to slide off or crease for the rest of the day. Powder, however, should not be used all the time especially if using matte concealer. The powder will make it appear too dry. The key is to try and figure out what will look good and stay on for as long as you need it to.
10 Best Concealers for acne scars and blemishes
This is some of the best brands for acne scars and blemishes we recommend if you are trying to conceal acne scars or blemishes.
1. Dermablend Quick-Fix
This one completely conceals scarring.
2. Clé De Peau Beauté
Medium-coverage with a creamy texture. Blends well with over uneven skin.
3. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage
Can cover most scars and blends easily.
4. Bobbi brown face touch up stick
This is one of the best concealers for blemishes. It can cover any type of blemish. It’s compact in terms of packaging therefore easy to carry and do touch-ups on the go.
5. Nars radiant creamy
It’s creamy and ideal for disguising any blemish.
6. Revlon photo ready
Offers heavy coverage. Covers blemishes and blends well with the skin. It’s also suitable for all skin types and contains a shimmer which provides sheen and works like a highlighter.
7. Maybelline New York Fit Me
An exceptional brand. It’s also one of the best concealers for acne scars and blemishes. It does not cake and has a natural finish that lasts for long.
8. CoverFX Cream
It’s water based and a cream that covers everything. Can be worn for a long time.
9. BareMinerals SPF20 Correcting
It’s one of the best imperfection brands that does not clog the skin pores. It brightens the skin and protects it.
10. L.A. Girl Pro Concealer Hd High-definition
Provides excellent coverage. Creates a flawless look by blending in with the skin and lasts for up to 6 hours.
Tip to get best results
- Apply cosmetics lightly.
- Use a color that matches your skin tone.
- Concealers that contain salicylic acid can help shrink zits.
- Use a green tinted base concealer to hide redness.
- Mineral based cosmetics containing powdered versions of zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and silica will not irritate the skin. Mineral based cosmetics do not also have preservatives, oils, dyes or fragrances.
- Go for products that contain sunscreen for day use.
- Remove all makeup before going to bed at night.
- If you have crow’s feet around your eyes, do not apply one since it will enhance the lines making them easily visible.
To avoid scarring of pimples, avoid popping. If your skin Is acne prone, treat the acne first before you can conceal it.