Our hands are the most underappreciated parts of our bodies. They play a crucial part in our daily lives, but we do so little protect them. We buy expensive makeup for our face, lips, and skin but forget about them. Most people will only remember their hands when they get dry and cracks.
Dry cracked hands and cracked fingertips can be a very big nuisance. They will affect the way we greet people, our jobs, and many other things. What most people don’t know is that the drying and chapping can be avoided if they tried to protect them just a little more. Even though this cracking and drying is a common problem, having them is just proof that you don’t take good care of them. A hand moisturizer can do marvelously when it comes to keeping them soft and moist.
In this article, we are going to show you the reasons why your hands are chapped and how to get rid of this dry skin condition
Dry chapped hands causes
You can get it for several reasons. Here are some of them.
Dry air from which occurs in dry climates and cold weather saps moisture from our skin thus making our hands dry and cracked. Decreased moisture from the environment draws moisture from our skins leading to this condition.
Detergents and soaps
Some soaps have got harmful chemicals that can cause dry cracked fingers. These detergents are usually of low quality. Overuse of such detergents can make them be severely cracked.
You may get a sudden dry skin on your hands because of your body reacting to different kinds of medication. Most drugs have side effects, and some of these side effects may include getting cracked skin on fingers.
Doing hard labor
Strenuous jobs like farming and digging and any other form of tough activities that may involve lifting heavy loads may strain them and cause them to crack and dry.
People who spent most of their time in water are prone to get this condition. Water washes away the natural moisturizers from our skin leaving it dry. The situation can be worse if you always use harmful detergents and soaps when washing dishes, or scrapping because you will end up getting extremely dry hands.
If the skin on your hands is extremely dry, painful and cracked then you could be suffering from hand eczema. This eczema is also responsible for dry itchy hands which have a burning sensation. The cracks are often deep and painful and can release pus. It is very hard to detect this eczema because it always looks like normal dry hands problem.
Many changes happen to a mother during her gestation period. Excess oil secretion can cause irritation of the skin but hormonal imbalance during this period often lead some women to get dry and chapped hands. Another thing that can lead to dry skin during pregnancy is that as the baby bump grows, it stretches the skin making it pale and dry.
There are several ways in which you can cure dry cracked hands. The best remedy for extremely dry and chapped cases is pointed out below.
Use of home remedies
There are several home remedies for severely cracked cases but we are going to mention just one and the rest you can get them online. If you follow the procedure well, then be sure to get rid of this problem within a very short time.
- One tablespoon of cinnamon
- One tablespoon of brown sugar
- Two tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together until they form a homogeneous cream.
- Gently apply the mixture on your hands.
- Wash them with water and dry them off.
- Repeat the process once a day until they are completely healed.
This is one of the best solutions for this issue because it exfoliates the dead skin cells leaving them soft and smooth.
Use of dry hands lotion
The quickest solution to get rid of hard skin on hands and cracked skin on fingers is to use lotions and creams. There are several creams that have been developed specifically for this problem. Here are some of them.
Roger $ Gallet Bienfaits Hand and Nail Balm
This is one of the best lotions for dry cracked cases. Most reviewers claim that they achieved softer and smoother hands after regular use.
Burt’s Bees Sheer Butter Hand repair cream
It is a unique cream made from natural ingredients. It contains no sulfates or chemicals. It is one of the best creams for extremely dry ones because of its moisturizing capabilities.
Caudalie Hand and Nail cream
It is one of the best creams for this condition. It is made from organic avocado and grape seeds. It nourishes it and nails. It can also be used in other parts of the body. Try it today.
Eucerin Dry Skin intensive – 5% Urea
It is a hand cream that claims to restore the skin’s natural balance and provide long-lasting moisturization. It is one of the best dryness and cracking because it is fragrant free to prevent any kind of allergic reactions.
L’ Occitane Almond Delicious
This cream is enriched with almond milk to give maximum hydration to your hands. It is one of the best lotions for the dry cracked skin.
To get the best from hand moisturizers, use the follow this procedure:
You will need; a moisturizer,2 hand towels, a bowl of warm water.
- Soak your hands in warm water for 5 minutes
- Remove them from the bowl and pat them dry using a towel. Leave a little moisture.
- Apply your moisturizer.
- Cover them with a warm towel for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the towel and apply the moisturizer again.
- Do this every evening before you sleep, and you will be sure they will be soft within a few days.
The best treatment is prevention. Follow these ways to prevent the problem
- Avoid soaps if you can- Avoid all synthetic soaps, fragrances, and preservatives because they always strip off its natural fats. You can choose to use moisturizing cleansers instead.
- Use warm water- I would have told you to avoid touching water at all costs but I know that is impossible and that is why warm water can be friendlier to your skin than cold water.
- Wear gloves- wear warm soft gloves to protect your hands from cold weather when you go out. They will also protect them from activities that may cause cracks.
- Drink lots of water to hydrate your body and keep them from drying. Also, try to avoid food that will dehydrate your body like alcohol.
- Avoid using hand dryers because they have a negative effect on your skin.
When to see a doctor
- Certain symptoms like skin discoloration, swelling of the hands, discharge from the cracks, bleeding and extreme redness may indicate a serious problem. Seek immediate medical attention.
- Applying a lotion with petroleum jelly can be helpful