Are you looking for the best moisturizers for oily skins? We will give you not just a list but a lot more including the best tinted, oil-free, facial, men’s night and homemade ones. You will also learn how to choose or what to look for or what makes a brank ideal.
Oily skin cleansing, especially when using strong cleansers, often removes the oils and natural moisture, making it be dry. This often triggers it to produce more oil to try to bring back the balance. This is one of the causes of oiliness and can worsen the condition.
To help reverse this, you need to get a good moisturizer that has been designed for people who have this skin type. They will help hydrate it and this can reduce the amount of sebum (oil) produced by the sebaceous glands.
Choosing best moisturizers – serum, gel, oil-free lotions
When you are looking for the best moisturizer for oily skin, you need to understand that they come mainly in serums, gels or oil-free lotions. To help you get the brand, we are going to discuss some of the ways on how to choose it.
To begin with, when choosing it, it is a good practice to go for the oil-free brands and those based on water formula. Instead of petrolatum, the oily free moisturizers often have dimethicone as well as mattifying ingredients among others. They will help make your skin smooth and soft as well as prevent its dryness (including dry patches) that the use of very harsh toners or cleansers might cause.
Although some experts say that the best brand should not necessarily be oily free, you should only use such if they do not make it feel heavy. It should have gentle ingredients such as tea tree oil, peppermint, lemon, rosemary, lavender, as well as have balancing ingredients such as benzoin, chamomile, and geranium.
Furthermore, do not forget to go for the non-acnegenic or non-comedogenic, meaning they will not cause pimples or acne when you used them. This is particularly very important to people who have oily skins prone to acne breakouts. Other common ingredients include alpha-hydroxy for people with acne, etc.
Also, never forget to consider if it can offer some sunscreen protection if you do not intend to wear sunscreens.
Generally, lotion based will be quick to absorb, light and do not leave any residue. On the other hand, gels will dry rapidly and soothe the skin. Some contain humectants that can help in attracting moisture without making it oily. Aloe vera and tomato ingredients in gels are important if you have acne.
For those who want to try serums, they have vitamins and minerals that can ensure your skin moisture is maintained and help in fighting various blemishes such as breakouts and acne. Go for those with natural ingredients such as green tea, vitamin C, garlic, honey, kelp, aloe, algae, etc,
Finally, if you happen to have combination skin which is oily only on the T-Zone (chin, nose, and forehead), you need to use them selectively i.e. for oily on oily parts and for normal on normal areas.
We have looked at the various things to consider when choosing the moisturizer for this skin type. It is time to consider some of the best brands where we will look at tinted, facial, night, for men and overall best brands
Best overall– top-rated including oil-free and SPFs
While discussion the best ones, we are going to begin by giving you top brands overall before we give you the best facial, night, men’s and tinted ones.
If you are looking for the best moisturizers for oily skins overall, there are many great brands in the market. We reviewed so many brands before coming up with our list. So, what are the best ones?
- Elemis Daily Shine Control
- Dermalogica Active Moist Lotion
- Clean & Clear Morning Burst Shine Control
- Eucerin Everyday Protection Sensitive Skin Face Lotion SPF 30
- On A Clear Day Oil-Free – Philosophy
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
- Simple Clear Skin Oil Balancing
- Liz Earle Skin Repair Light
- Boscia Oil-Free Daily Hydration SPF
- Boots Tea Tree And Witch Hazel Shine Control
- Matis Oil Control Gel Cream
- St. Ives Collagen Elastin Facial
- Amie Morning Dew Matte Finish
- Garnier Pure Active Spot Fighting 24hr
- Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily SPF 30
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
- Lotus Herbals Aloehydra Aloe Vera Moisturizing Gel
- L’oreal Dermo-Expertise Hydrafresh All Day Hydration Aqua-Essence
- Neutrogena Oil-Free – SPF 15
- Lotus Herbals Skin Whitening and Brightening
- Whiteglow Micro Emulsion SPF 25
- Elta MD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- Glycolix Elite Facial Cream Ultra Lite
- Mary Kay Timewise Age-Fighting
- Almay Daily – Meadow-sweet and SPF 15
Truly, if we were to list all the best ones, this list will be endless. However, if you tried any of the above, you definitely will not be disappointed.
cheap, costing below $10
Some of the above brands are a bit expensive. If you are looking for the best cheap moisturizers to buy, consider going for any of the below brands. They are very affordable, yet will give you excellent results.
- Kiss My Face – Peaches & Cream
- St. Ives COollagen Elastin Facia
- Clean & Clear Oil-Free Dual Action
- Eucerin Everyday Protection Sensitive Skin Face Lotion SPF
These are not the only cheap ones. You can still get wonderful products if you carefully searched. Ensure you see what users are saying, their ratings, reviews, and even experts’ reviews. You should not also forget looking at the ingredients present.
Best tinted moisturizer for oily skin
You could opt to switch from using a foundation that was very helpful in summer to tinted moisturizer, which serves you as a moisturizer and as a face foundation. People with very oily skins might have greasy looks if they do not go to the right foundation.
Instead of having to depend on foundation, you can go for the tinted ones. They will serve as both foundation and moisturizers at the same time. People who are particularly prone to acne should try them as it can hide the acne blemishes.
Of course, there are many tinted brands in the market. To be particular, those with silicon will be ideal. Some of the best brands you should give a try include the following:
- Elizabeth Arden Sheer Lights
- Clinique Tinted
- Bobbi Brown SPF 15 Tinted – Oil Free
- Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted
- Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted
- La Mer Fluid De La Mer
- Clinique City Block Sheer SPF 25
- Physician’s Formula Tinted
- Laura Mercier Oil-Free tinted
- Philosophy’s The Supernatural Poreless Flawless SPF 15
- Clinique Stay-True Makeup Oil-Free Formula
- Jouer Matte Moisture Tint
All the above and many others will help in dimming your shiny oily skin looks and ensure your skin is well hydrated. They are perfect companions during summer when it is a bit hot and you are likely to sweat and look shiny.
However, before you buy any of the above brands; it is good to ensure you have seen other users experience, ratings, and reviews. This is the only sure way of getting what will work for you.
Best for men
To help keep their skins hydrated, men need to buy some of the moisturizers. Men’s skin structure is slightly different from those of women as it is on average 20 to 30% thicker. This explains why they hardly get the crow’s feet (wrinkles under eye) easily or not even frown line. In fact, they will look fine without using a good anti-aging regimen.
However, on the downside, they have much follicles and glands that produced sebum (oil). Therefore, if you are a man with an oily skin, you need a specially formulated men’s moisturizer for oily skin to help you manage this menace.
One of the important feature men would look at when buying it is something that does not leave a shiny fish i.e. a matte or mattifying one will be ideal.
We looked at the many brands before coming up with a list we feel will be most helpful to you. So what are the best brands men can use?
- All-Day Oil-Control Lotion from men’s
- Matte for Men Complete Face and Head Care Lotion
- Response Homme – Shine Control
- Oil Control Daily Hydrator by Lab Series
- Instant Fix Oil Control by Anthony For Men
- Facial Fuel Transformer age-correcting gel
- Protect & Perfect Intense anti-aging
- Double-Duty face
These are not the only ones. You will find other leading brands that men with oily skins can use. Ensure you check the ingredients present to ensure is oil-free, non-comedogenic and water based.
Best facial ones
If you are specifically looking for facial moisturizers for oily skins, most of the ones we have discussed so far are indeed be used. You should not be confused by the term ‘facial’ to start imagining they are different.
However, if you insist on having a few names, here are some of the best brands:
- Clean & Clear Oil-Free Dual Action
- Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream
- Glycolix Elite Facial Cream Ultra Lite
- Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Triflix Oil-Free
Not to overemphasis, the above brands are no better than the other leading brands we have discussed since all the moisturizers discussed can be used on your face.
Best brands for night moisturizing
Most of the above are suitable for daytime use. If you are looking for a good night moisturizer for oily skin, nourishes it and help it repair and rejuvenate. Furthermore, they should supplement your skin with antioxidants and vitamins.
There are many brands on the market. We reviewed several of the very best that people with this skin type can use before coming with the below list below. So, which one are they?
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream Night
- Skinceuticals Renew Overnight
- VLCC Wheat Night CreamVichy Normaderm Daily Care Night Chrono Active Anti Imperfection Care Night Cream
- Optimals White Night Cream
- Lotus Herbals Nutranite Night Cream
- Avon Solutions Refined White Night Cream
These are some of the best. However, before you buy any of the above brands, it is your responsibility to ensure you have seen several reviews from users and experts to be certain they will work for you.
We will not go to details on homemade moisturizers for oily skins. However, we would wish to acknowledge the homemade ones are equally good. There are also many recipes for making such them.
Some of the common recipes include the following:
- Beeswax – ½ tsp of beeswax, 2 jojoba oil drops, 2 tsp of vegetable glycerin and an ounce of aloe vera.
- Aloe Vera – 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel, 1 teaspoon of grapes see oil and some Aura Cacia natural skin care oil.
- Lavender and Lemon – 2 drops of lavender and lemon oils, 2 drops of glycerin and a half a cup of pure water.
- Avocado – 1 egg white, 1 avocado oil cup and 1 tsp of lemon juice (fresh)
You will find other homemade or natural ones that include the rose petal, as well as milk and olive oil moisturizers. Some of these them will work while others might not work. Ensure you try one if it does not help, go to the other.
How to apply them
Once you have chosen the right moisturizer for this skin type, you need to ensure you do not overuse use it. Many people assume more is better but the contrary is true. For your face, two green pea-sized amount should be sufficient.
Furthermore, when applying it, ensure you have moisturized your forehead, cheeks, chin, nose by dotting those areas with very small dots on this area. You can then gently rub your face to connect the dots
On application methodology, there is no specific way to go about it. You need to use your fingers with a gentle touch. Begin from your cheeks and work outwards using smooth strokes towards your neck. Do not use the up and down or circular strokes.
When you are applying it on your forehead and the neck, change the strokes to be upwards. Again, be very gentle to avoid straining your skin as this can cause premature skin aging.
Finally, ensure you reapply your moisturizer each time you wash your skin. See more on best cleansers, soaps, face wash and toners for oily skins.