Are you looking for the best sensitive skin moisturizers, creams, lotions, anti-aging, facial masks, fragrances, and deodorants? This article will give you info on each of these products and much more.
How to choose products for a sensitive skin
- How to choose products for a sensitive skin
- What to look for in moisturizers, foundations, creams & lotions
- Best Moisturizer
- Best moisturizers brands
- How to use moisturizers
- Best Lotions– Top Brands
- Best face creams
- Best facial or Face masks– Top Brands
- Best anti-aging products
- Allergy and Redness removal
- Deodorants & Fragrance
When choosing products, you need to go for products that will generally stimulate and ensure purity your skin. Furthermore, these products should encourage the growth of new cells, provide nourishment for and shield it from the various environmental and external stressors.
Skins that are sensitive have a thin epidermis, which is easily compromised as the protective barrier i.e. easily eroded away. This exposes it penetration of irritants as well as blood vessels and nerve ending disruption. Water loss can also lead to the loss of the natural protective layer and thus they end up being dry.
That said; you should carefully choose products such as moisturizers, foundations, creams, lotions and other makeup to ensure they are suitable for your skin and they will protect it from the various harsh environmental conditions as well as keep it hydrated.
What to look for in moisturizers, foundations, creams & lotions
When choosing any of the sensitive skin care products, you need to ensure they at least meet these criteria, whether they are lotions, moisturizers, creams, makeup or any other type of makeup:
- They have very few ingredients
- They do not contain or have little fragrances
- Do not have deodorant or antibacterial fighting ingredients
- Do not have any alcohol
- Do not have alpha hydroxy acids and retinol
Your skin, being sensitive needs moisturizers that have been made to suit it. Such a moisturizing is very important since it can help in reducing abrasion and drying.
Furthermore, such moisturizers will help soothe it and prevent future allergic reactions or breakouts. Some of them may even contain SPF or sunscreens to protect it further from the sun’s UV light.
Moisturizers work by holding water on your outermost skin layer and act as a temporary barrier. Go for moisturizers that have ingredients such as chamomile, aloe vera, green tea, etc which are good soothing ingredients. If you already have redness or allergic reactions, they will also help heal it. Avoid those with acids, fragrances or dyes since they might irritate it.
Best moisturizers brands
When looking for the best moisturizers for a skin that is very sensitive, you should be careful not to be caught in the hype of hypoallergenic products. Go for products that will actually help it while protecting it too.
Some of the best brands include the following:
- Cetaphil Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating Lotion
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Facial Moisturizer
- Calmitude Moisturizer by Bioelements
- Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer SPF 15
- Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Solutions Sensitive Daily Moisturizer
- Yes to Cucumbers Soothing -Daily Calming Moisturizer SPF 30
- Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer SPF 30
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture – Ultra-Gentle Facial Moisturizer
- Simple Kind to Skin Replenishing Rich Moisturizer
- Murad – Soothing Serum
- Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer SPF 30
How to use moisturizers
Generally, you will be required to apply them after you have taken a shower and throughout the day to ensure your skin is well moisturized. Begin by taking a shower of water that is tepid. Pat it gently, before applying your moisturizer.
When choosing moisturizers, you need to go for brands that have mineral oil, ceramides, linoleic acid, petrolatum, glycerin or dimethicone
Best Lotions– Top Brands
If you want a soft luxurious skin, it can be a little challenging if it is a sensitive type. However, with a good choice of lotions for sensitive skins and other care products, you can get something that will work best.
As usual, you need to ensure the lotions do not contain preservatives or any other ingredients such as fragrances that might cause allergic reactions, especially for people who have super sensitive one. Furthermore, these lotions should help soothe, heal redness and ensure the protective natural layer is not eroded.
If you are looking for some of the best lotions, some of the accredited top brands you can give a try include the following:
- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Eucerin Sensitive Skin Redness Relief Daily Perfecting Lotion
- Olay Moisturizing Lotion
- Ideal Moisture™ Day Lotion SPF 25 – L’Oréal Paris
- Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion
- Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair Body Lotion With Itch Relief
- Vaseline Total Moisture
- Coppertone Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50
- L’Oreal Ideal Moisture Day Lotion SPF 25
- Burt’s Bees Soothingly Sensitive Body Lotion
- Hawaiian Tropic Faces Sunblock Lotion, Oil Free, SPF 30
- Pevonia Lotion
- CVS All Day Moisture Lotion Spf 15
- Estee Lauder Hydrationist Lotion
However, before you blindly go for any of the above lotions, you need to ensure it will suit you well. Read user comments, professional reviews and see how each lotion has been rated. This is the surest way of getting the best!
Best face creams
There are many creams for sensitive skin you can go for which play different roles such as getting rid of scars, acting as concealers, foundations, moisturizers, anti-aging, night creams, blocking the sun, reducing redness, dealing with acne, etc.
These creams have different roles. Some of them might help in treating various conditions closely associated with this type of a skin such as eczema.
The basic principle for choosing any creams for a sensitive type of skin is looking at the ingredients they have. They should not contain any ingredients that might cause or irritate it such as preservatives, acids, antibacterial agents, fragrances, dyes or any other cosmetic allergens.
Eucerin Sensitive Skin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme
- Lumene Sensitive Touch Comforting Night Cream, $17.99.
- Patricia Wexler M.D. Comforting & Renewing Serum, $55
- Burt’s Bees Sensitive Eye Cream
- Eau Thermale Avène Skin Recovery Cream
- Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme
- Pevonia Soothing Cream
- Sebamed Moisturizing Cream
- VMV Creammmy Rich Intensive Moisture Milk
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream
- Phisoderm Cream Cleanser
- Burt’s Bees Sensitive Daily Moisturizing Skin Cream
- Burt’s Bees Sensitive Night Skin Cream
- Olay Age Defying Night Cream
- Sante Night Cream, Bio Schisandra
- Giovanni Shave Cream Fragrance-Free & Aloe
- DERMAbaria Hand Treatment Cream
The list of creams can be endless due to the different roles they play. You need to ensure you have carefully checked the ingredients present and it should be hypoallergenic.
Night Creams for Sensitive Skin – If you do not want to spend money on buying night creams, you can decide to use homemade ones where you will use products such as olive oil and apple, or use any other natural products that will not harm it.
Day Creams for Sensitive Skin – for day creams, you can choose to use any of the above best brands or use creams that contain natural oils like horse chestnut, vitamin B complex, chamomile, avocado oil, jojoba oil etc. Go for oils that can help in soothing it and block the sun.
Best facial or Face masks– Top Brands
Facemasks or facial masks can help in hydrating, tightening, nourishing, drawing impurities, healing blemishes, rejuvenating your skin, among many other roles. See more on facemasks to know on types, when and how to use them, etc.
When using facial masks, you must ensure they do not contain any ingredients that might cause a harm. You can choose to go for homemade facial masks ones or buy some of the facial masks such as:
- Avène Soothing Moisture Mask
- Yogurt Face Mask
- Cattier Clay Mask
- Gatineau Serenite Rapid Soothing Mask
- Pevonia Soothing Mask
The above best masks will be of much help. However, do not forget the fact that what will work for someone else might not work for you.
Best anti-aging products
Environmental factors, lifestyle factors, and foods we eat often accelerate our aging process. Do you know that people who are so stressed age faster for instance? However, to help reverse this undesired process, you need a good anti-aging product. There are so many products and each is no doubt important.
However, if you are looking for the best anti aging for sensitive skin, you need to be careful to ensure it does not contain any ingredients that might worsen things. You need a product that will help reduce wrinkling, dryness (accelerates wrinkles), soothe it, increase its firmness, make it uniform, reduce redness and rejuvenate it.
We have reviewed a number of the best anti-aging products and came with the below list that we feel will be of much help. This should, however, be coupled with other anti-aging care regimens. Some of the best brands include
- Olay Age Defying -Day Lotion with Sunscreen, SPF15
- Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Crème
- Sensitive Skin Anti-Aging Solution Kit
- CellCeuticals PhotoDefense Anti-PhotoAging Skin Protector
- Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Creme
- La Roche-Posay Redermic Daily – Anti-Aging Fill-In Care
- MD Skincare Hydra-Pure Intense Moisture Cream
- Olay Regenerist Perfecting Cream
Although we have mentioned the above best anti-aging brands, we are not endorsing any product. Ensure you do your own independent research on each of the above best anti-aging products.
Allergy and Redness removal
Do you have redness or allergic reactions on your sensitive skin, some of the best products you should consider using include the following:
- Allergy and Redness Relief
- Clinique Comfort On Call Allergy Tested Relief Cream, $39.50.
- SkinMedica Redness Relief CalmPlex
- Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme
- La Roche-Posay Rosaliac Anti-Redness Moisturizer
Deodorants & Fragrance
You want the floral, citrus or minty smell or scent but avoid any skincare product with fragrances since they will make it react to them. It is advisable to go for fragrance-free products for sensitive skins. According to the founder of DermaDoctor, Audrey Kunin, M.D., “Fragrance is the number one allergen in cosmetics and skin care.”
Ensure you choose products that are not only fragrance or perfume free but also those that are hypoallergenic and do not have formaldehyde or formaldehyde free. While removing scent, some manufacturers might add irritating chemicals, which will only worsen your sensitive type of skin situation. Be on the lookout for the ingredients present.
For people who cannot work without using fragrances and perfumes, it is recommended they spray these products on their clothes that do not come in contact with their skin directly or give them time to dry before putting them on.