Can I use coconut oil for stretch marks including old ones as well as those that appear during pregnancy? Does it work? Can I mix it with other products such as Aloe Vera, grapeseed or olive oil, Sugar, salt, and so on?
Coconut oil is one of the earliest product to be used in human society as food and for Ayurvedic purposes. This miracle product is laden with benefits that make it a great additive when cooking. It also stands out as one of the best oils for promoting skin health. Therefore, it is no wonder that coconut oil extracts are used as additives in Palmer’s cocoa butter formula, which is one of the best stretch mark removal creams in the market.
Does coconut work on stretch marks – why?
Natural coconut oil is one of the best oils for stretch marks. It l is a great moisturizer for all skin types. Similarly, it has plenty of antioxidants that help protect and rejuvenate the skin. Applying it boosts the activities of your immune system.
Also, this oil contains lauric acid and microbial lipids that help boost skin health. It is one of the few known natural sources of lauric acid. This acid also occurs in a mother’s milk and helps boost the infant’s immune system. Also, it exhibits antifungal and anti-bacterial that help protects the skin.
Applying it to your skin helps improve your skin’s elasticity and softens your skin texture. Pure brands is an effective moisturizer. As a result, it is ideal for stretch marks as its acids help in the skin healing process.
Is it ideal or does it help?
Coconut oil is the best way to heal stretch marks. Pregnant mothers can use it during pregnancy. The expectant mother should rub it into her abdomen, or any other areas where the stretch marks are, every day for best results. The application should continue even after pregnancy until the marks fade out.
When used, it penetrates the skin and is easily absorbed into the cell structure of the skin’s connective tissues. The regenerative properties it has helps to restore damaged skin thereby improving the appearance of these unsightly marks. It is advisable to use extra pure or virgin brand as it is in its purest form, free from additives.
How else can you use virgin coconut oil for striae?
You can use it on its own or you can mix it with other ingredients. For instance:
- Coconut with grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil is twice as rich in antioxidants compared to olive. It also contains linoleic acid which helps reduce clogged pores. Combine 100g of coconut with 15 drops of grapeseed oil and applying the mixture to the affected areas is a great way to get rid of stretch marks.
- With turmeric and Aloe Vera: This recipe combines the benefits of coconut with the potent phytochemical properties of turmeric and aloe Vera. Mix 1 cup of organic/virgin coconut oil with a ¼ cup of Aloe Vera and 1 tablespoon of powdered turmeric. You can add a tablespoon of honey to the mixture. Apply the mixture daily on the affected areas.
- Coconut and olive: Olive oil is one of the best oils for stretch marks. It is a rich antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. You can combine the benefits of both the two for best results. Also, you can add vitamin E capsules to help boost skin healing.
- With other essential oils: You can combine it with such as lavender, or the evening primrose oil. You can mix 50ml of lavender with 100ml coconut oil (melt it first). Stir the two ingredients until you get a fluffy texture. Place the mixture in an airtight container and use regularly.
- Coconut with Sugar or Salt: You can make your own exfoliation scrub using it and sugar, or salt. Mix ½ a cup of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of sugar or salt. Massage the mixture in the affected area for 10 minutes. Rinse off the mixture and towel dry. After that, you can apply it on the area again as a moisturizer.
For excellent results against stretch marks, always opt for pure or virgin coconut oil brands. Incorporate it into your daily routine. For instance, you can apply it on your skin after bathing as a daily moisturizer. Daily use helps prevent stretch marks from forming during pregnancy as it keeps the skin healthy.
Men can also use coconut oil if they have stretch marks, or an as an aftershave.
Being a natural remedy, do not expect overnight or immediate results. You need to use it consistently for a few weeks for noticeable results.
- Britt Brandon. Turmeric for Health: 100 Amazing and Unexpected Uses for Turmeric. “F+W Media, Inc.”, 2 Sep 2016
- John Davidson, M. Usman. Health Benefits of Coconut Oil, JD-Biz Corp Publishing, 15 May 2013