There’s nothing bad like having so many sleeveless dresses that you cannot wear due to dark spots on your armpits. You keep rummaging through the closet until you can find another dress because all your sexy sleeveless ones have to take a back bench.
There are several reasons as to why you keep getting unwanted color discoloration on your armpits. They include:
When getting rid of those annoying hairs on your underarms, do you shave or wax? I know it always seems painful when waxing. Why go through all that pain while you can use a razor to get rid of the underarm hairs while showering? Right? It looks like a more convenient option but when you shave, you only get rid of hair that’s above the skin. This makes the roots of hairs to become visible beneath your skin. This happens especially if you have fair skin or dark hair.
To protect yourself from dark underarms due to spots, use wax strips instead of razors. If you’ve never done waxing before, get it done by professionals like licensed estheticians or beauticians. The appointments will depend on how fast your hair grows. If not comfortable visiting a beautician, do it yourself using a home-wax kit. You will however have to follow the instructions given to avoid getting irritations on your underarm skin.
You can also shave using a razor and not leave dark spots. The results are short-lived, and the hair grows 24 hours after a shave but it’s easier to do. It’s inexpensive, convenient and takes less than five minutes without pain. Regular shaving traumatizes the skin and when the skin heals, it appears darker, making the area gets spots or turn grey over time. To shave your armpits without leaving dark spots:
- Use shaving gel when shaving to avoid clogging the razor.
- Use a multi-bladed men’s razor that is sharp and fresh. A sharp-edged razor will provide less strokes and reduce friction.
- Shave your armpits mid shower after lathering and rinsing. During this time your pores are open and will expose more hair shaft. Wet hair is also easier to cut. When shaving, apply gel to each armpit and let it sit in for a minute to soften the hairs before shaving.
- When shaving, use the right position. Extend the hand you are shaving completely over your head to completely stretch the skin under the underarms. Shave up towards your back with each stroke then do the same for the next hand. Rinse the razor off after every stroke and ensure consistency in the direction of your strokes.
- When you are done with both armpits, rinse the razor by putting it under running water, then dab your armpits dry using a clean towel. If any hairs were missed, use the shaving gel and give them another cut with the razor.
- Moisturize the armpits after shaving and avoid applying products with alcohol or flavors. Allow the moisturizer to absorb into the skin, then apply deodorant.
Dead skin buildup
Another reason you could be getting dark spots on your armpits is dead skin buildup. Sometimes bacteria can cause problems especially if you sweat by breaking down sweat. This could cause a serious problem known as erythrasma. This chronic skin infection forms red scaly patches on the skin that with time fades to brown.
Doctors use a Wood’s lamp to detect the skin condition using ultraviolet light. The patches fluorescence if you have an infection to a magenta color. Treatment is through topical or oral antibiotics.
Make sure to regularly exfoliate your skin to free up the skin pores and to allow for smooth skin. Use products with lactic acid for a complete hydration of skin and a rejuvenated finish.
Sometimes chemicals used to make deodorants and antiperspirants we use could cause irritations to the skin. This can also cause discoloration on the armpits. If your skin reacts to the deodorants use an all-natural organic one or an anti-fungal powder for best results. Excessive rubbing of the underarm skin will also make the skin irritated.
Hyperkeratosis is a condition where the skin thickens to protect itself against rubbing, irritation, and pressure. This can be caused by the use of the wrong deodorant or rubbing too much.
To treat this, the dermatologist can prescribe lotions or creams that contain tretinoin. Other treatments include oral medications like dermabrasions and isotretinoin to reduce the thickness of skin in the affected area
Hair removal creams
Underarm dark spots can also be caused by hair removal creams. When using creams, the hair does not get removed from the roots just like in shaving. Some of the chemicals used to make them also irritate the skin. In case you leave the cream on the armpits for too long, it could burn the skin. Excessive use also causes discoloration of the skin under the arms over time.
Dark spots on the underarm could also indicate diabetes. It can just be a beauty problem but if it’s persistent then see a dermatologist. Acanthosis nigricans is a condition that affects people with a genetic predisposition to diabetes. A dark velvety pigmentation forms in the underarms and sometimes on the back of the neck.
The cells of people with type 2 diabetes become resistant to insulin over time. This makes insulin remain in the bloodstream thus elevating its levels. Too much insulin overstimulates the skin cells which makes the skin to become thick and dark in some areas like the underarms. In severe cases, the skin gets a thick velvety appearance. This condition is known as acanthosis nigricans.
The dermatologist will confirm if it’s a skin problem or diabetes. They will offer treatment to treat diabetes first to keep insulin under control. This will make the dark patches fade and if they don’t, then this can be brought under control with timely care, eating foods with low sugar and avoiding high-glycemic foods. Tropical retinoids, chemical peels, alpha hydroxy acids, or laser therapy can also be used for treatment.
Remedies to remove underarm dark spots fast
If your armpits are discolored, there are some home remedies you can use to get rid of dark underarms. They include:
Lemons are natural cleansers that contain antibacterial properties. Rub a thick slice of lemon on the darkened armpit, then gently wash the area.
The acidity in potatoes acts as a natural bleach on the skin. Slice the potato and rub it on your armpits. Leave it to dry then wash off. Repeat this process several times for underarm whitening.
Cucumbers like potatoes are a natural bleaching product. To remove dark spots under the arms, rub a slice of the cucumber on the armpits. Leave it on for an hour then rinse off.
The peel helps lighten the skin. Dry out orange peels in the sun, then grind them into a powder. Mix the powder with water and milk to form a thick paste then scrub the underarms with it. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse it off. Do it three times a week.
Coconut has vitamin E properties that help lighten skin. It’s also a natural deodorant that you can massage your underarms with. Leave it on for 15 minutes then use mild soap and water to rinse off.
- How to Shave Your Armpits Without Leaving Dark Spots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgFTJ4qYIgM
- Did you know that dark underarm could indicate diabetes? http://www.thehealthsite.com/beauty/did-you-know-that-dark-underarms-could-indicate-diabetes/
- Medscape: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1052532-overview