The skin around our face is very delicate and that is probably why we develop conditions like pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, age spots, eczema, and bumps around here. One of the most common problems that people have to deal with is a dry flaky skin on the face. It is embarrassing! It erodes your self-esteem! Sometimes it is also itchy.
And the worst part about dry skin patches on the face is that you can’t hide it with clothes or a cap. Trying to use makeup only makes it worse. This is the reason why information about how you can get rid of this condition is sales like hot cake. The problem is that most of the information you get on the internet is just pure crap.
I have a very sensitive skin and all through my life I have had to deal with different types of skin conditions on my face, I, therefore, have first-hand information on what you are going through. I am willing to help you overcome it and lead a normal life.
First, you should know that it is not unusual to have dry patches of skin on your face. It is the degree of dryness that varies due to factors like age, lifestyle or medication. The following are some of the ways you can get rid of the condition.
Proper skin care
One of the major causes of dry flaky peeling skin on the face is the use of the wrong facial care products. Could be you are washing your face with harsh detergents that strips of its natural oil leaving it dry.
You should, therefore, avoid using hot water and harsh chemicals when to shower or wash your face. Instead, use lukewarm water and mild cleansers on your face. This will open your pores without stripping the natural lipids from the skin. You should also take less time in the bathroom for the same reasons. Use a soft cloth when washing your face to avoid aggravating the problem.
Use the right moisturizer after cleaning
There are very many facial creams available on the market today making it difficult for a person to know which one is right to use. You should choose one that locks moisture in your skin leaving it hydrated.
You should use one that has ingredients like shea butter, glycerin, coconut oil or ceramides. All these have got moisturizing properties that will help keep your facial skin well hydrated. Olive oil is also a good moisturizer because it contains fatty acids which cleanse away dead skin cells and other toxins that have clogged your pores. Note that you should pat it dry first before applying the moisturizer after you have washed it.
Exfoliation helps you get rid of the extremely dry skin on your face leaving you with a fair, smooth and hydrated skin. You should exfoliate at least twice per week if you have noticed some peeling going on your face.
The following are some of the ways you can exfoliate;
Using a baby washcloth and warm water
- You should dip the washcloth in water and then gently rub your face in small circular motions. This will remove the dry patches which you do not like.
- I recommend using a baby washcloth because it is soft and won’t damage or injure your sensitive skin.
Ingredients; Grounded coffee beans, grounded oatmeal, Aloe Vera gel, olive oil.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with some water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your face and scrub in circular motions.
- Rinse off it off with plain water.
- Pad to dry with a soft towel and then apply a moisturizer.
- Do this consistently at least twice a week. You will start seeing changes from the third time.
Chocolate face mask
Scrubbing your face with a chocolate face mask will leave your skin smooth, young and revitalized.
Ingredients; Cocoa butter, honey, and milk
- Mix the ingredients with a little water to form a thick paste.
- Apply this to your face using a toothbrush and leave it for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse your face with plain water, pad dry and then apply a moisturizer. you will notice the difference immediately.
Causes of dry flaky skin on the face
They say that prevention is better than cure and knowing the causes of this condition may help you avoid it.
- Using harsh drying soaps and detergents on your face can cause a dry skin problem
- Washing your face with extremely hot water will strip the skin of its natural oils thus making it dry and patchy.
- Skin conditions like eczema, pimples, atopic dermatitis and psoriasis can be the reason for the dryness you are experiencing.
- The steroids and other medication used to treat eczema may make your it dry and flaky.
- Extremely cold climatic conditions may be the cause of this flaking, dryness, and patches on your face.
- Some people experience this dryness and flakiness due to hormonal imbalance triggered by pregnancy or menstruation.
- Using cheap cosmetics and makeups on your face can cause a dry, flaky and peeling skin.
When to see a doctor
Almost everyone has had to deal with a dry skin on face problem at one time in their lifetime (If you haven’t then you been very lucky but yours may be on the way). This is not a serious health issue and it will go away if you follow the above remedies. But just in case none of the above remedies work on your skin then you should seek immediate medical attention because you have an underlying condition like eczema or dermatitis which should first be treated before you get rid of this dryness. Your doctor will diagnose the condition and prescribe the best medication for you.