Are you suffering from acne scars on your face? They can be unsightly. Get the various ways and remedies to heal your scars and keep away new ones from forming. You will also learn about their causes and symptoms.
There are many causes that may lead to acne but we have to understand that, not all cases will leave behind scars. There are also some risk factors that when combined with underlying acne can lead to acne scars.
It is clear that some people are more likely to develop facial acne scars than others. Here are the factors that may increase risks include:
1. having inflammatory Facial Acne
Medical professionals state that those with inflammatory acne have higher risks of developing scars. This type of acne goes deeper into the skin, and this damages the skin hence may leave behind marks. Inflammatory acne often develops alongside symptoms such as swellings, skin reddening, and pain. Examples include cysts and nodules.
2. Delayed or not treating acne
Get this all clear, the more you stay longer before treating your inflammatory acne is the more you are likely to end up with marks. This also applies to those who wrongly treat it. Ensure you get immediate response to reduce chances of scarring.
3. Picking, Squeezing, Touching or Popping
It should be acknowledged that picking, squeezing, touching or popping acne often increases the risk of scarring. This can also lead to secondary infections hence leaving behind very large scars on the face. There are many remedies outside there that can be applied instead of picking, popping or squeezing these zits.
Genes also may contribute to the development of the scars. When a blood relative is suffering from the same, you may develop it too. But who will actually develop it is not easy to determine.
According to Aad.org, “Although we know what increases a person’s risk of developing acne scars, it is not possible to predict who will develop acne scars. Even people who have all the risk factors may not scar.”
“Acne scars are most often the product of an inflamed lesion, such as a papule, pustule, or cyst.” [verywell.com]. Inflamed acne occurs when the hair follicle is clogged with excess sebum (natural body oil), dead skin cells and bacteria. This will lead to swelling of the pore leading to a break in the follicle wall. Minor outbreaks will be formed when the rupture occurs near the skin surface. On the other side, deeper rupture of the follicles wall will lead to severe acne. Thereafter, the infection by the bacteria will destroy healthy skin tissues.
Your skin will then form a fibrous protein (collagen) that will strengthen and make the skin flexible. When the skin produces too little or too much collagen, you may develop scars. Another important issue you must understand is that the type of resultant acne scar will depend on how much collagen your skin produces.
“Acne scars come in many different shapes, sizes and even colors.” Says thescienceofacne.com. This is very true, many kinds of acne will have their own unique characteristics and features. The differences will also influence the type treatment to be applied. You should note that choosing the appropriate treatments will basically depend on their characteristic. Here are the three main types:
1. Raised (keloid)
Raised acne scars or otherwise known as keloid or hypertrophic occur when fibrous and scar tissue which is raised as compared to the surrounding healthy skin tissue.
These types have got many challenges as compared to the other two types and they are often treated using ablative laser resurfacing and microdermabrasion. Surgical procedures can also be employed to remove them. They rarely respond to chemical peel treatments because their tissue is more resistant to ingredients found in the chemical peels.
2. Depressed (Pitted)
This is the most common type. The collagen anchors its base to the subcutaneous tissue, keeping the depression in place and at the same time preventing the regrowth of the healthy tissue. The best treatment is to disrupt or remove the scar tissue to enable its replacement with new functional and healthy tissue. Read on to explore these three types that leave depressions:
- Rolling -these are broad depressions in the skin having rounded sloping edges. When they combine in a place, they bring about the rolling look and hence the name.
- Boxcar -they have steeper defined edges than rolling scars. They are very difficult to smoothen and to blend them into the nearby skin.
- Icepick acne – these deep with narrow edges and they resemble a large empty skin pore. Because they are deeper, punch-excisions and some kinds of laser form the best treatment.
3. Discolored or hyperpigmented
This happens when one has unusual discoloration of the skin. They last for a longer time. In this category, we have hyper-pigmentation and hypo-pigmentation and erythema.
This condition occurs when the cells producing melanin pigment (melanocytes) begin to multiply at the site of the injury or when existing melanocytes begin to produce excess melanin leading dark spots or scars. All these follow trauma caused by inflammatory acne. Light and laser acne treatment are appropriate and effective.
This occur when the melanocytes in the injured site are depleted or lose their capability to produce enough melanin. Such areas tend to have light pinkish appearance. It can also affect the healthy skin regions. Hypo-pigmentation can easily be noticed in persons with darker skin.
C) Erythema or Permanent Redness
This condition presents when the small capillaries below the skin surface are damaged or permanently dilated. This will cause a region of redness in the affected area or what is called red acne marks. This is common with individuals having lighter skin. Treatment for erythema include topical prescribed treatments and laser and light-based treatments
The removal treatment will depend on their characteristics and types. Here, we have discussed the most effective ways of treating to give a try
For Pitted and rolling
- You can adopt the use of soft tissue augmentation techniques such as hyaluronic acid, collagen, gelatin matrix and fat implants or other recommended creams
- Dermabrasion is also another good treatment
- Skin needling is also among the pitted acne treatments
- Your dermatologist can also apply Laser resurfacing
Ice pick and boxcar scars
- Dermabrasion and Laser resurfacing form effective treatment
- Punch grafting can also be employed to treat deep ones
- Chemical Reconstruction Of Skin Scarring
- a surgical technique in which the fibrous band under the scar is divided (Subcision), can be employed to allow the skin to return to its normal position
- Larger ones can be cut out (excision)
Treatments options include:
- Effective topical steroids can be applied for a few weeks
- steroid injections into the body of the scar is also another perfect procedure
- Silicone gel dressings may also be applied for 24 hours a day regular for some months
- Skin needling
- Cryotherapy or freezing
- Surgical revision can also clear them
Raised or keloids are particularly likely to reoccur besides successful treatments, so be warned.
There are many natural remedies that can be used, though they may only be effective for mild to moderate cases. Here are the best natural remedies to give a try:
1. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds or Greek hayseed is very good to start with as they help in mending and easing aggravation. They contain wonderful anti-oxidants that are very excellent for treating scars. It has been used for years in treating inflammations from acne. Here is procedures for applying fenugreek seeds remedy:
- Boil fenugreek seeds in two cups of water using small pan
- Leave them to boil for some minutes and then grind them
- You can then store them in refrigerator or cool place
- Apply small portion of this paste on the affected part
- Leave it to sit for about 15 minutes before washing your skin using warm water
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another perfect natural moisturizer that normally comes with recovering properties. According to Homeremediesforlife.com, “Coconut oil cools and soothes the skin, reducing inflammation and redness caused by acne.” This oil also contain caprylic and capric acids and vitamins E and K that encourage the growth of new healthy skin cells.
It also enhance the production of collagen which improves skin`s elasticity which keeps the skin firm and scar free. There are more ways in which coconut heals and help. Use the procedure below to apply coconut oil remedy:
- Scoop a ¼ tablespoon of coconut oil and then let it dissolve into the palm of your hands to your body temperature.
- Using your fingers, run the oil into affected area
- Leave it there to be absorbed for 10 minutes
- You can then wash it using warm water
3. Olive Oil
This is among the most effective treatment which is friendly to your skin. Just imagine it contain vitamins (A, D, E, C, B1 and B2), iron and antioxidants. The acne scars will also get cleared following the anti-inflammatory properties in the olive oil. For very effective result, apply olive oil before greeting your bed. Below is how to use this remedy:
- Acquire a little olive oil and then apply it gently on the affected area
- The message should proceed until you are satisfied that all the oil has been absorbed
- Dip a clean towel in lukewarm water and then wash your face gently. This should be done after around 15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure many times as you can until you attain positive result
4. Baking Soda
This is a popular remedy that has been used to treat many skin disorders and that is why we find it effective for facial acne scars. It gets rid of dead skin cells since it exfoliates the bothersome dead skin cells. It also has no inflammation effect on your skin during its application. This is how baking soda is used:
- Mix baking soda and olive oil to form a paste
- Apply the paste affected area and then massage it on the scars for around 8 minutes before washing off using lukewarm water
- Repeat this procedure regularly for positive result
Baking soda can also be applied alongside aloe vera, lemon juice, orange and cinnamon and honey.
5. Egg Whites
Egg white is another great remedy, it has influential repairing properties that will help reduce scarring and limit the future occurrence of such acne. “Egg white is brimming with proteins and amino acids which can tighten the pores to avert new breakouts while it lightens the scarred skin,” says Naturalremedyideas.com. To apply egg white:
- Break one egg and whip the egg white in a small bowl to make it feathery and usable
- Using your fingers, spread the egg white the affected part.
- Leave it to dry on the skin for about 10 minutes and then wash it off gently using warm water.
- If you want a better result, then apply this remedy thrice each weak
6. Aloe Vera
This wonderful herb not only soothes the swellings but also help in renewing damaged tissues as well as boosting the healing process for many skin conditions. This is why we rate it among the best natural removal treatments. Though there are over the counter products containing aloe vera, it is good to fresh aloe gel. How to use aloe vera to treat post acne marks on faces:
- Take aloe vera leaf and peel its outer cover to get fresh aloe gel
- Apply the gel to the affected area
- Sit and relax for about 30 minutes and then wash off using warm water
- Repeat the process twice daily for pleasant result
- For sure, this remedy will vanish the mild marks and also make your skin to glow and become tighter
Natural remedies are many. More natural ways to remove acne marks involve product such as cucumber, honey, potato slice, sugar scrub, rose water and glycerin, turmeric powder, lemon juice and orange juice among others. Remember the most important thing is to select a proper treatment.
Acne marks on your face are usually unsightly and really embarrassing, it is good to try to get rid of them as soon as they start occurring and control acne itself. If the above over the counter products for acne scars do not yield results, proceed to your dermatologist alternative treatments such as laser and light treatments among others
Our List of References