If you are a long-distance runner, then you know what it means by having chafed nipples. Sometimes it is just horrific when you a watching sports then you see a spectacle of stained on an athlete’s shirt near the chest region.
Nipple chafing is caused by the friction between clothes and it as you run. In sports, it called runners’ rash. The friction is very painful and can often lead to blood stains on your shirt when the skin is rubbed raw. It can also be a result of the friction of clothing against nipple during any excruciating physical exercise
Men and women can both get nipple chafing during exercises or running. The good thing is that this problem can be avoided; Following the remedies below will make the pain a past tense for you.
How to prevent nipple chafing while running
Professional athletes have access to a variety of chafing solutions which may not be affordable for amateurs. But this does not mean you should endure the pain of running with a chafing problem. These chafing remedies can be helpful.
Dress in the right gear
- Don’t use a large or fitting t-shirt during exercise or running this will only make the friction worse and lead to nipple chafing.
- Avoid cotton clothes during exercises because they absorb sweat, create excess friction which can cause agonizing painful breast chafing.
- Apply waterproof bandage or surgical tape over each before exercises to act as a barrier between your nipples and clothes.
- If you are a man, then consider running topples in warm weather
Use nipple Guards
Nipple guards are one the best anti-chafing remedy for athletes. They were designed as a foolproof solution to prevent nipple chafing and abrasion without the need for reapplication during a workout and without staining shirts. (runguards.com) the hollow center of each NipGuard allows nipples to remain protected without having an irritating adhesive plastered on the most sensitive part; the areola.
They are said to be waterproof and are effective even in extreme weather conditions. Due to competition, the price of nip guards has gone down while the quality continues to improve.
Here are some nipple guards you can purchase online;
- They are described as the original transparent nipple protectors. They have 10 times more staying power than regular spot bandages.
- They are water resistant, comfortable and easy to use to prevent chafing prevention.
- They come in a packet of 50 or 52 pairs and retails for $24.57 om Amazon.com
ii Nip Guards
As the name suggests, Nip Guards have been designed to provide chafing relief against painful Nipple abrasion and chafing. They will allow you to stay comfortable During your runs. (Amazon.com) They will make exercises easier and fun.
A pack of 10 pairs goes for around 10 pounds on Amazon. The good news is that UK residents enjoy free delivery.
Ladies should use fitting sports bras
- Sports bras are designed for vigorous exercises. They are made with antimicrobial fabric to prevent any kind of odor build up.
- They have superior ventilation compared to normal bras which allow the body to cool off as you exercise.
- They are also designed in a way to give maximum support for your boobs as you exercise.
- A Sports bra is seamless to prevent any kind of irritation and chafing
- A nice sports bra should have straps that fit comfortably on the back.
Apply anti-chafing cream
- The most effective first aid for nipple chafing is to apply Petroleum jelly like Vaseline on your them. The best anti-chafing cream creates a barrier between cells in the dry or damaged skin and the cloth causing friction
- It also prevents the problem from aggravating.
- Chafing cream also moisturizes the skin thus preventing any friction that might cause nipple chafing.
Drink lots of water
Apart from hydrating you, water reduces the concentration of salt in the body. Salt can act as an exfoliating agent. The damage that salty sweat can do on your nipples as you exercise should not be understated. Water is one of the best nipple chafing cure. All you must do is drink it. It is as simple as that.
How to heal it fast
I know the nipple chafes are very painful and the only problem you have right now is the easiest and fastest way you can get rid of them.
Take a break from exercises
You don’t want to worsen the already painful situation and the only way is to go slow on exercises. This will give you time to recuperate. Sometimes this is the only thing you can do to stop chafing on your nipples.
Apply some ice
Applying ice on it will reduce swelling and speed up the healing process. It will also numb the skin thus reducing pain and any irritation.
Clean and dry the affected area
Wash your nipples with warm water and dab them dry. If you are a man, you can stay dry to ensure enough air circulation around it. Do not use any kind of cleansers as you clean because they might dry the area making it crusty and delaying the healing process. You need to keep the area dry to avoid any kind of bacterial infections. Apply Vaseline to the wound to keep it moisturized.
Apply a warm compress
The heat from a warm compress can ease discomfort and accelerate healing of your chafed nipple. A warm compress will reduce any inflammation and kill all the bacteria that can cause infections. Dip a clean washcloth in warm water, wring it out and then place it on your nipple for a couple of minutes.
How to cure chafed nipple due to breastfeeding
In breastfeeding mothers, it is referred to as fissure of the nipple. This is a condition that can be caused by friction as the baby lactates and can result in soreness, dryness or irritation and sometimes bleeding of one or both nipples during breastfeeding. [Wikipedia.com] Breastfeeding pain is one of the most dreaded nightmares for any mother. Other causes of breast pain during breastfeeding include poor latch of the baby as it feeds.
The good thing is that there is a way you can avoid the pain caused when it gets fissured and enjoy motherhood.
Use breast milk
Breast milk has got antibacterial and healing properties which are good for your chafed nipple. Apply a few drops of milk on your nipple before and after breastfeeding. Allow them to dry every time you do this. This remedy works if you don’t have thrush.
Air dry them
The quickest milk blister treatment is to air dry your nipples. I know this may not be easy especially if you stay in a house with many people but trust me it works. The rationale behind this is that you will get your boobs aerated and the sores will dry in the process.
Perfect the baby’s latch
The biggest cause of breast pain during breastfeeding is a poor baby latch. While feeding your baby, ensure the whole nipple and some part of the breast are in its mouth. Also, make sure the position of the baby is perfect so that you don’t feel any kind of pain as you feed your baby. Getting a good latch will prevent sore breastfeeding pain from happening.
Try the nipple creams
There are a variety of ointments specifically meant for treating sore nipples. These creams have different properties and you should check for the possible side effects before you administer them on your baby. The best nipple creams are the ones made from organic components. A variety is available online. Some of them are very powerful and provide a way on how to heal chafing overnight.
When to see a doctor
Now there is a possibility that using the above remedies may not stop the nipple chafing. This is probably because the cause of your problem may not be among the ones mentioned above. There is a high probability that your kid is tongue-tied. You, therefore, need to see a doctor who will advise you accordingly.