Moisturizing your skin is important irrespective of whether you have normal, oily, dry or sensitive skin. Regularly using it keeps it glowing and reduces the risk of developing wrinkles. If you have acne-prone skin, moisturizing using the right acne-friendly one can be all you need to minimize the risk of acne.
For people with sensitive skin, sticking to the care regimen of cleansing, toning, moisturizing and protecting it using the right sunscreen, as well as applying the right makeup can appear like a daunting task. Since it gets easily irritated, and certain products can lead to an all-out flare up. To some, maybe it has rosacea, eczema, or is simply allergic to products containing certain chemicals.
However, if you have a sensitive skin, you need not abandon your pursuit of beauty by not using a moisturizer. You simply cannot risk it. That being said, here are some guidelines on what to look for, what to avoid, and some of our favorite brands custom made for you.
What to look for
In most instances, people with unbalanced skin (oily, combination, or dry) are likely to have sensitive one too. This is because it not operating the way it should, either it is producing too much oil, or not producing sufficient oil as in the case of the dry types.
When shopping for a moisturizer, it is advisable to look for one that contains few ingredients, has no alcohol or alcohol-based products (SD Alcohol, denatured alcohol, isopropyl, alcohol, ethanol, yellow corn alcohol, or natural alcohol), and has no fragrance. Also, avoid a moisturizer with retinoids or alpha.hydroxy acid, lanolin and mineral oils, cinnamates, sodium chloride, and dyes
There are moisturizers that come with SPF. However, some products utilize chemical filters that may be harmful to sensitive skin types. These chemicals include avobenzone, octinoxate, octisalate, homosalate, and oxybenzone.
Always look for sunscreens containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Moreover, you need to bear in mind that other products used on the face aside from the moisturizer, for instance, anti-aging creams, certain powder makeups, and deodorant body washes, can irritate it.
Although there is a sea of chemicals to avoid, the good news is that there are certain brands in the market that are designed to meet its demands.
Best moisturizer for sensitive skin:
Here are some of the products that you might fall in love with:
- Eucerine Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Sensitive Skin Lotion SPF 15: The product is designed for people with dry and sensitive skin. It happens to be fragrance-free, alcohol-free, and non-comedogenic. The product doubles as a sunscreen and moisturizer.
- Aveeno Skin Relief 24 Hour Moisturizing Lotion: Formulated with active ingredients, Aveeno is an ideal brand for the sensitive types. Aside from being fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, and steroid-free, it is gentle.
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for Dry Sensitive – Fragrance-free: Contains a unique combination of emollients and humectants for retaining moisture. The product is non-comedogenic, non-greasy, and quickly absorbed by the skin. Cetaphil is great for eczema-prone, and one prone to dryness.
- CeraVe: Also ideal for the dry and sensitive type. The product is deep moisturizing. It contains ceramides and glycerin which repairs the skin’s barrier function. It can be used for sensitive types including dry, eczema prone, psoriasis prone, and itchy skins.
- Cures Purifying Blemish: This product is designed for an oily sensitive kind, including acne prone, and skin containing blemishes. It is also ideal for people with large pores. Cures by Avance is paraben free. The product purifies it and minimizes the appearance of pores. Cures is a great product that improves its texture, leaving you fresh, hydrated, and acne-free.
If you are looking for a face moisturizer for sensitive skin, then you can try the Eucerin Q10 product, CeraVe facial lotion, or the Aveeno. The Nivea Soft Moisturizing Cream also has some positive reviews from people whose is dry and sensitive. It is one of the most affordable brands in the market. Lastly, there is the Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid lotion that is ideal for sensitive, acne-prone skin.
Moisturizer for dry sensitive skin
Dry skin requires daily hydration to avoid issues such as developing crow’s feet, wrinkles, or flaky skin. Look for brands that contain hydrating ingredients such as humectants and occlusives. At the same time, you need one with at most 10 ingredients to minimize the risk of irritations. Some of the products mentioned above are ideal for dry, sensitive skin. You can also try out:
- Elemis Hydra-Boost Sensitive Day Cream: This soothing, hydrating crème is fragrance-free. It contains orange blossom milk that softens it. It is also antioxidant rich and contains some good emollients such as glycerine, sweet almond, and sunflower oil.
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra Fluid: This product is recommended for ultra-sensitive, allergy prone skin. It contains Neurosensine, a strong soothing agent, and La Roche-Posay thermal spring water which helps prevent irritation. The integrity of the ingredients is maintained thanks to ultra-hermetic packaging.
- Skinmedica Replenish Hydrating Cream: This preservative-free nourishing cream effectively hydrates it leaving it smooth and well-nourished. The product is ideal for dry, sensitive, oily and combination, acne prone, and mature skin.
Moisturizer for Oily Sensitive skin
It is advisable to look for brands that are oil-free and water-based. Use lotions rather than creams, including on the face. Also, avoid those with acne-triggering ingredients such as petrolatum, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl ester, emollients such as linseed, coconut, or olive oil, oleic acid, stearic acid, lanolin acid, and heavy mineral oils. There are some great oil-free moisturizers on the market. You can try out the following brands:
- Clinique Moisturizing Gel: A dermatologist developed product that combines the benefits of skin-strengthening ingredients with oil-hydration. It is 100% fragrance-free, non-acnegenic, paraben free and oil free.
- Neutrogena’s Oil-Free – with SPF 15: An affordable product that not only moisturizes but also offers sun protection. It is non-greasy, paraben free, non-comedogenic, and hypoallergenic.
- Murad anti-acne, anti-wrinkle: This product also acts as a moisturizer and a sunscreen. Also, contains the benefits of black tea ferment which helps fight blemishes and wrinkles.
- Olay total effects anti-aging: The product is oil-free, non-comedogenic, non-greasy and fast-absorbing. It also a great anti-aging product with complex vitamins that help nourish the skin and fight off aging.
Moisturizers are important as they aid the skin in retaining moisture, giving you that much-needed glow. Some brands have SPF which is good as they help you nourish it while at the same time protecting you from the sun.
However, it is advisable to avoid SPF at night as it rejuvenates at night and the ingredients in the sunscreen may lead to clogging of pores.
Be cautious of advertisements. There are a lot of brands in the market with added ingredients such as vitamin E, collagen, amino acids, algae, aloe vera, RNA, Allantoin, hyaluronic acid, amongst other additives. However, the benefit of these contents in the skin is still a subject of debate.
Remember to apply your moisturizer on your neck, and a little on your hands as these regions also need moisture.
- Evelyn R.Scott Natural & Organic Beauty Recipes: Complete Guide to Organic Homemade Facial Masks, Scrubs, Toners, Lotions, Moisturizers & More, 50 Simple & Easy Natural Skin Care Recipes Included, Enlightened Publishing, 2015